What are my options for getting pregnant
One of the first questions a patient has when beginning fertility care is “How”? After trying for months or even years, becoming pregnant may seem like rocket science. There are several options for becoming pregnant while under the care of a fertility doctor.
Timed intercourse can be done with a natural cycle or along with fertility drugs such as Clomid. Your cycle can be tracked in two ways:
- At home – You can track your cycle at home using a Basal Body Thermometer (BBT). BBTs are sensitive thermometers that can detect even the most subtle changes in body temperature. Every morning, immediately after waking, you would take and log your temperature. After ovulation, your core temperature increases between 0.4 and 0.6 degrees Fahrenheit. By tracking your temperature, you’ll know when ovulation has occurred and can time intercourse with your ovulation.
- By our staff – Your cycle can be monitored by our staff utilizing world-class technology. Through a combination of blood work and ultrasounds we are able to determine when ovulation is imminent and can advise you of the best time to have intercourse.
Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
Intrauterine Insemination, also known as IUI, uses a catheter to place sperm directly into the uterus. The procedure is done during a monitored cycle so that insemination and ovulation are carefully aligned. Several things occur during an IUI cycle:
- Fertility drugs are administered to promote and stimulation ovulation (in most cases)
- Blood work and ultrasounds to monitor the progression of egg follicles.
- Semen is collected in a receptacle and prepared by our lab to ensure the healthiest and motile sperm are used.
- The prepared semen is placed directly in the uterus in our office using a catheter.
- The sperm travels through the uterus up through the fallopian tubes to the recently released egg.
- IUI is commonly used for patients whose fallopian tubes are unblocked. IUI may also be a solution for male fertility issues such as low sperm count or low motility.
In-vitro Fertilization (IVF)
In-vitro fertilization (IVF) is a method of fertilization where eggs are harvested from the patient then fertilized outside of the body. Using fertility medication, the woman’s ovaries are stimulated so that multiple eggs mature. Once mature, the eggs are surgically harvested and fertilized with sperm in our world class facility. Once fertilized, embryos are monitored and the healthiest embryo(s) are placed directly in the woman’s uterus.
New Hope Fertility Center offers three IVF options:
- Traditional IVF – Uses injectable fertility medications to stimulate and promote ovulation of a high number of eggs.
- Natural Cycle IVF –Natural Cycle IVF monitors your cycle then harvests the one egg your body produces naturally.
- Mini-IVF – Uses a minimal amount of fertility medication to promote the maturation of three to five eggs.
To learn more about your options for getting pregnant or to receive information on our board certified physicians, contact us today. New Hope Fertility Center is focused on helping our patients achieve their dream of parenthood while caring for their minds and bodies.